Fellows’ collective is an unregistered and independent body of community health fellows of SOCHARA Madhya Pradesh which sees itself in the future as a resource group. The main focus of fellows’ collective is to emphasize on availability of quality, easily accessible and affordable health services as this will bring positive impacts in human development indices of our State. Fellow’s collective is a platform for community fellow’s of SOCHARA to facilitate the community health approach and is also committed in its efforts to work on issues related to community health across Madhya Pradesh. Those associated with the collective are free to express their views, and to support and work on issues of their interest.
In 2009 SOCHARA started a resource centre in Public Health in Madhya Pradesh. This centre facilitates an educational program on community health approaches to public health problems called Madhya Pradesh Community Health Fellowship Program (MP-CHFP). Till now 50 such community health practitioners have been trained through fellowship process of SOCHARA. Being motivated by the guidance obtained at SOCHARA and success of other such collectives along with sense of a community, fellows decided to work on health related issues in form of a collective network. Fellows have formed a platform called Fellows’ Collective and are carrying out the process of communitization and capacity building of community for active participation in health system in various districts of M.P.
The strategy of the collective is to work with government and non-governmental organisations to improve community awareness and information, enhance the capacity and skills of the community to participate in developmental activities. Problems will be identified based on research and groups will be formed at the community level which be made self-sustainable.
At present the Fellows’ Collective will intensively intervene in 21 selected districts of M.P, where the plans are to work on malnutrition issues among children of age group 0-5 years through promoting community based actions.
Through community initiative to create a society where there is health, education for everyone based on social justice and solidarity so that people are physically, mentally and socially healthy.
1. To improve the poor health indicators through combined efforts of the community and the system
2. To improve the determinants of health through community initiative to make community health universal
3. To strengthen processes of community health through community initiative, education, training, research, public health and community participation
- To create understanding in the community regarding community health principles and issues
- To improve and integrate governmental, non-government and community efforts for strengthening of community health processes
- To improve knowledge, skills, vision and strategies for development of community health
- To create a system and community based platform for health planning and implementation processes
- To promote new paradigm through specialisation in community health, public health education, health policy along with equity, social justice, social determinants like community participation, gender, inclusive and responsive health system, health policies and development
- To promote orientation on community health among the community with which they work
- To practice identification of public health problems at grass root level, their determinants and solutions in Madhya Pradesh
- To strengthen the principles and methods of public health system and community health
- To create a technically skilled society based on public health and community health perspectives with equity, rights and social determinants.
- To promote community support, empowerment and awareness in health
- Collective efforts
- Truth and honesty
- Long term vision
- Community learning through community efforts
- Respecting each other and the society
1. Fellows' collective meeting reports
* updated July2016